Monday, September 9, 2013

September 9th, 2013. La vida española continues.

Monday September 9th, 2013

                Well, this weekend was a great one. Thursday we met up with some Spanish girls that we met last weekend and saw La Plaza de España, which was gorgeous. Apparently it was built in 1928 as a sort of showcase for Spanish industry and technology in an exposition the next year. And it was used in one of the Star Wars movies. It is lined with ceramic benches; one bench for each province in the country, of which there are around 50. We then found super tasty gelato. Here’s the thing, gelato is awesome and I could pretty much eat it at any given moment, but it is usually not cheap. But it is, again, incredible and available everywhere so I will probably continue to mention it. Friday was our last day of class at the language institute and we talked about each of our countries and immigration, which is huge in Spain. It’s similar to the situation in Cuba, where boats come in at night crammed with people that are trying not to get caught by coastal police. Some will destroy or hide their papers so that if caught, officials don’t even know which country to contact in order to deport them. Representatives from five countries present in class made for very interesting discussion. I am not going to get political, but I will say it is very apparent to me that Americans on the whole know far less about other countries than other countries know about us and I think we’re doing ourselves a big disservice. I am one of the most guilty of this. But it’s like being in a room with one sided mirrors; everyone can and does look in and knows things about us but we are content to walk around amongst the mirrors and look at ourselves. We came straight home for lunch, which was fascinating. We had on our plates a sunny side up egg, a hot dog, and a well-molded mound of rice with tomato sauce on top. I just kind of went for it and it was really pretty enjoyable. I doubt it has a name. I think I already mentioned that eggs seem to show up in random places.  

CADIZ

The train ride to Cadiz on Friday was uneventful and not too long. Cadiz is one of, if not the, oldest city in western Europe and was very important back in the day regarding imports and exports because it is practically an island in the south of Spain. It was often the first port ships would come to and for that reason, the city has a ton of watch towers scattered throughout to look for incoming ships and pirates. It attracts a ton of tourists for its beaches though, and none of the above. So our system of planning trips pretty much ends at getting us to the train station with an address in hand. Luckily, we just kind of exit the station and nice people always offer us maps or help and we find where we’re going, often with a lot of walking. We’ve decided studying/traveling abroad is pretty much about trusting strangers. We did find the hostel though. For Friday night our señoras had packed us a bocadillo for dinner so we sat on La Playa Caleta (oldest beach in Cadiz and used in a James Bond movie) and had those while we enjoyed the sunset. Poetic right? It was gorgeous and a good time contemplating life/messing around. Gifton is super good at back handsprings now. At one point we looked around and realized everyone had left the beach, which was eerie but awesome to be the only ones out there. Back at the hostel we met the owner, David, who was very friendly and great, and then too friendly and all of a sudden had us coming to a tapas bar with him for dinner and a flamenco show afterward. I truly don’t know how that happened. We thought some other people were going but once outside we realized it was just us four. It was like being in a social setting with a pretty chill professor. You’re happy to see them, and would definitely say hi, but not hang out with them all night at a bar. We mostly side-lined tapas because we had eaten bocadillos and then backed out of the flamenco show. Don’t worry, he still went and had a great time. The bar he showed us was great however and we went back there for dinner on Saturday. . . and ran into him again. So comical.

Saturday was beach day. We walked to a different beach and just camped out for about 7-8 hours. It sprinkled a little in the morning but was overall perfect. We also got to see some sort of simulation from pilots at a US base nearby that apparently happens once a year. It was terrifying at first, not knowing what was going on, but super cool. I would like to go ahead and confirm that the European topless thing is indeed a thing (for some) per my experience on la playa Santa Maria that day. I’m not sure how else to comment. Overall, beautiful day full of siestitas.

Sunday was our day to spend in the city. Breakfast at the hostel (never book a hostel that doesn’t include breakfast) with the friendly Latvian girls that work there and then we headed out to El Castillo de San Sebastian (old castle). It is down a long stone walkway and pretty cool up close. Nothing tall is still standing though so it doesn’t look like much from afar. We also looked at the cathedral and then over to El Torre Tavira, which is the tallest tower in Cadiz. You can climb to the top and get an incredible view. This tower also has what they called la camera oscura, which was kind of like a telescope and used a giant mirror and lenses to project a live, 360 degree picture of the city onto a bowl-shaped screen on the floor. This thing was seriously incredible. We stood all around it and a guide took us on a telescope tour of the city. She maneuvered the lens to focus on different buildings at varying distances and turned the mirror to give the whole 360 degree view. We watched people walking through the plaza or hanging laundry on their terrace. It was one of the coolest things I’ve seen here and definitely the best application of physics of lenses I’ve ever encountered. We found lunch at some small local place and the owner recommended a gelato place to us. This is absolutely the way to get around foreign towns. Locals give the best recommendations, accurate directions, and are super friendly. We never would have found/chosen this place otherwise. I could have sat and stared at the ocean for a long time but we eventually walked back to the train station and passed out on the way home.

A quick note on hostels: go to them. They are fascinating places full of fascinating people. We met two Australian girls at this one who we chatted with for a while. They loved our accents and asked us about peanut butter and jelly. To them, jelly is our jell-o and jam is our jelly, so they had been picturing peanut butter and jell-o sandwiches all their lives. Glad we could clear that up. And they do eat vegemite, which I recommend to no one to eat but everyone to taste. It’s uniquely repulsive.

What else is new? I forgot to include in my last post about my first attempt to run. (I really miss the Trinity for this reason). I left around 6:30 in the morning and there was absolutely no one in the street; it was sufficiently eerie. These people truly do not start their days until sunrise. Today our señora was talking about some event and how it is better in the “afternoon” maybe around 8:30. . .that is obviously nightime. The timing is such a huge difference, but I’m getting used to it fairly easily and I might even like it.  Anyway, I went down by the river, which is the most scenic place to run but it was dark and empty and below street level so basically I was on high alert and cut the whole thing short. Back at the apartment building, my key wasn’t working so I gave up and called my poor roommate to wake her up to let me in. She didn’t answer but I buzzed our place and some man’s voice answered so I must have pressed the wrong bell. He asked if I was confused but ultimately let me in. Up at the door to our apartment, my key for that door wasn’t working either. That’s when the man’s voice came back again from behind the door I was trying to break into. He said I had probably confused the buildings and I’m pretty sure he was right there looking at me through the little view hole. He was definitely right. At least I didn’t actually get into his place. My bad, Spanish man that was probably still asleep. Next time I’ll be a little calmer and perhaps double check the building number. To be fair, the whole street of them look the same. The running since then has been better.

Today was our first venture to the university, called UPO (Universidad Pablo de Olavide)! We took a placement exam with a ton of other American and Australian students and then had a tour of the campus. It’s great, but nothing like TCU. It’s also outside the city and basically surrounded by fields so it’s several metro stops away from our homes. We start class on Wednesday, which will be September 11, which seems ridiculously late to start a semester. In September, all the university students have a chance to re-take the comprehensive finals for the classes they previously failed. The fail rate is about 30% and students can spend the summer studying and take the exam in September to avoid retaking the class entirely. Interesting set-up. Students care far less about GPA and while there is a scale, the mindset seems to be pass/fail. We will see once I start spending time daily at the university. I’m definitely excited to get started there. We’ve met a few people already because of the exam and metro ride this morning. This afternoon we went back for more Moroccan tea with a new friend, which is fabulous and served at a very authentic feeling Arabic place.

Dinner was interesting tonight as well. Our señora was commenting that all the girls she hosts are so anxious to learn the language and know everything right away. She says to give it time, absorb the culture, and the language will come easier. I think she does have a point, but I also think she highlights a significant culture difference. There is less urgency here to know and do and more emphasis on just living a life that isn’t “apretada” or jammed full of things to do. She and her sister both talk to all of their grown children multiple times per day. I imagine they are not the only ones. The unemployment in Spain is nearly 50% for age range of about 17-30, which definitely says something, but I already appreciate the way they appreciate their life daily. She also says she has a lot of “psychology on us girls” because she has been hosting for 21 years. We are each different, but all have things in common. I get the impression it would be hard to do something that would totally surprise her. We also brought up how much we like dipping bread in olive oil with salt and pepper. She literally spent about 4 solid minutes saying how ridiculous that was and no one would do that and how pepper is meant for tomatoes. It was hilarious. Her son was slightly more open-minded but no less confused at the idea. We really like our little family J.

Well, three pages later I feel pretty caught up. Coming up next: classes at UPO and a day trip to Huelva. La vida española continues.

Love,
Jenna


P.s. Pitch Perfect has not yet made it to Spain. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment